Thursday, November 22, 2018

Triple Ginger Cookies

Triple Ginger Cookies

Hey y'all! So, I wasn't going to do a post, but @pwdcreative requested the recipe for these cookies, so, I have to share. I've been baking these cookies during the holidays over the past few years and they are amazing. They are super chewy, spicy and addictive. Super simple to make (ugh, this is why I never make baci di dama, I love them but they are a pain in the butt). It's Thanksgiving today, and I have loads to do, as you can imagine. I have a couple of doughs fermenting in the fridge, the sidewalks are slick with last night's rain, and I'm about to put on some Bill Evans because, I don't know, he's just so good for cozy, rainy days.

Here is the recipe. I won't bore you with more blabber. I mean, Instagram has allowed us to streamline our thoughts, yeah? Who even keeps up on their own blogs anymore?? 🤷🏽‍♀️


TRIPLE GINGER COOKIES


Use all organic ingredients when possible.

1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 TB cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
a few rasps of fresh nutmeg
pinch salt
150g candied ginger, chopped into small bits
1 cup Turbinado sugar

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as it whips. Add the egg and beat thoroughly. Coat the inside of your quarter measure with oil, then pour your molasses in. Great. Now get this into the butter mixture (oiling the cup ensures that all of the molasses comes out) and beat.

In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, soda, salt and spices. In 3 additions, add it into the butter mixture. I do this by hand to avoid overmixing the dough, which toughens the cookies. When almost all of the flour is incorporated, toss in the chopped ginger and mix to combine.

Tear off a pice of parchment paper, about 12" long. Plop the dough into the center of it and shape it into a log. Once it's shaped, sprinkle the Turbinado sugar over the log and roll it back and forth to coat. Wrap the log in the parchment. Place on  a cookie sheet. Place in fridge for at least an hour. At the last half hour, preheat the ov to 350.

When the dough is chilled, take it out of the fridge and unwrap. Slice into 1/4" thick slices and place on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat or parchment. They will spread a bit. I think I get 15 cookies per sheet? I can never remember.

Bake till the edges are just starting to go goldenish. I never time, because suggested times are meaningless when it comes to cookie baking, in my opinion. The tops will start to crackle a bit, and the edges will round nicely like this:

You have to use your baking prowess for the timing. Go for a little under rather than over. I watch my cookies like a hawk. Light golden is what you want. Anything more than this is too far gone. With these, golden goes out the window because the dough is already so dark. But trust me, you'll know when it's time.

xo

(adapted from The View From Great Island)

Always A Little More

8 comments:

  1. Oh, it sounds lovely. I would love to see the quantities in metric units though. Especially when it comes to cups and sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Will make them as soon as I recover from Thanksgiving cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look great and I will try them soon. I also want to thank you for all you do to produce your fabulous blog. The main reason for my comment is to address your hand bolted flour. Back in 2014 you had a post on Michette where you mentioned getting a yield of 42% to 47% on hand bolted flour. I have a Komo mill and I have sifted flour using sifters I bought from Breadtopia. The 40 mesh sifter pulls out around 10% bran and the 50 mesh sifter pull out another 20% leaving me with 70% extraction. The sifter you recommend is the Korin sifter with removable screens. Korin mentions that these sieves are for sauces and purees. I wonder if these might be made with thicker wire to hold up to people using rubber spatulas to push through the sauces. I don't think that the sifters I have could hold up to being pressed with a spatula. The use of thicker wire reduces the hole size so that the 50 mesh sieve acts like a higher mesh sieve. There is a website bakedeco.com which features Vollum heavy duty sifters that are meant to be used in bakeries. The sifters are available in 20,30, and 50 mesh in a variety of diameters. They mention the size of the holes in the mesh: 30 mesh is .6mm or .0236 in, 50 mesh is .3mm or .0118 in. I feel bad that you do so much work grinding and sifting flour only to end up with 47% extraction. I just wanted to mention this to you so you could take it into consideration. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies look great and I will try them soon. I also want to thank you for all you do to produce your fabulous blog. The main reason for my comment is to address your hand bolted flour. Back in 2014 you had a post on Michette where you mentioned getting a yield of 42% to 47%. I have a Komo mill and I have sifted flour using sifters I bought from Breadtopia. The 40 mesh sifter pulls out around 10% bran and the 50 mesh sifter pull out another 20% leaving me with 70% extraction. The sifter you recommend is the Korin sifter with removable screens. Korin mentions that these sieves are for sauces and purees. I wonder if these might be made with thicker wire to hold up to people using rubber spatulas to push through the sauce. I don’t think that the sifters that I use would be strong enough to hold up to spatulas. Anyway, the use of the thicker wire, if that’s the case, would have the effect of reducing the hole size which would make the sieve act as if it were much finer. There is a website bakedeco.com which features Vollum heavy duty sifters that are meant to be used in bakeries. The sifters are available in 20,30, and 50 mesh in a variety of diameters. They mention the size of the holes in the mesh: 30 mesh is .6mm or .0236 in, and 50 mesh is .3mm or .0118 in. I feel bad that you put forth so much effort in grinding and sifting flour only to end up with such a low extraction. I just wanted to mention this to you so you could consider it as a possibility. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and easy! Definitely a repeat performance. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been coming to Tartine Bread Experiment / Girl Meets Rye for years. YEARS. But where has the genius author gone? Flour's flying off the shelves during COVID19 as people seek to regain some sort of sanity with simple, home-made comforts, and many of them are making bread for the first time ever. Now's the time for a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have shared a wonderfull information about bread. Thank you. Traditional Bread is the #1 Health Danger
    In Your Diet and Contains a Hidden Compound that
    Makes it Nearly IMPOSSIBLE to Burn Fat & Lose Weight!
    That’s why I Invested 10 YEARS of My Life to
    Create the World’s Healthiest Bread...
    TODAY: I Reveal the Secret – So You Can Enjoy
    Delicious REAL Bread without Worrying about
    Your Health, Your Blood Sugar... or Your Waistline!https://tinyurl.com/y532f3h3

    ReplyDelete

Hey. So, I answer all of my comments, but it may take me a few days to get to it. Go ahead and leave a comment or ask a question and I will respond the best I can!